2290Tax.com Logo

Do I need a 3rd Party Designee?

Do I need a 3rd Party Designee?

Third Party Designee gives someone other then the taxpayer permission to speak to the IRS about this specific form.

It doesn't matter what your relationship to the taxpayer is, the IRS will only speak to the taxpayer unless you have a 3rd Party Designee or a power of attorney. Husbands and wives, sons and daughters, agents and friends - none of them can speak to the IRS without proving they have the permission of the person who has their name on the Form 2290.

Here at 2290Tax, we highly recommend that if you are helping someone file their Forms, you put yourself in as 3rd Party Designee. It's easy! All you need is a first and last name, phone number, and any 5 digit Pin of your choosing.

Back to the Support Center

If you have a question about form 2290 submissions, the HHVUT, or how to use our system, please call us at (888)802-4299. We'll be happy to guide you through the process.

General Questions

Paid Preparer Frequently Asked Questions