2290Tax.com Logo

How do I Change the Weight on my Truck?

If your vehicle's operating weight increases after you submit your taxes, you need to fill out another 2290 form to reflect your Total Gross Weight Increase, or TGWI, and pay any resulting taxes. Fortunately, changing a vehicle's operating weight is an easy process with the 2290Tax e-filing system.

Amending Your TGWI

To file an operating weight amendment, log into your account and click the ''E-file Your Taxes Online'' Button. Most of Step 1 will already be filled out with the information from your previous 2290 submission.

The form asks if the new 2290 is an amendment. Enter ''Yes,'' and enter the month the vehicle's operating weight increased. Choose ''Changing the Vehicle Weight'' as the reason for the amendment. Click ''Save and Continue.''

In step two, go straight to the ''Save and continue'' button. You don't need to make any changes on this page.

The last questions on Step 3 asks for the Vehicle's total gross weight. Enter the VIN, the month the weight increased, the old weight, and the new weight. The site will calculate any extra tax for your TGWI.

In step 4 you'll be asked how you want to pay for your taxes. You get one last chance to review the information in Step 5, after which you can submit the amended 2290 and your payment. It's that easy!

If you have any questions about submitting a TGWI, call us at (888) 802-4299 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Pacific Time. We'll talk you through the process.

Back to the Support Center

If you have a question about form 2290 submissions, the HHVUT, or how to use our system, please call us at (888)802-4299. We'll be happy to guide you through the process.

General Questions

Paid Preparer Frequently Asked Questions