Correcting a VIN

You have spent a lot of time collecting all your tax information, filing the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, and you finally received your stamped Schedule 1. To your surprise and dismay, you see that a typo was made in the VIN. Where do you go from here?

Thankfully, we offer VIN corrections at no charge. “No charge” meaning completely free– you don’t pay us anything and you don’t pay the IRS any more taxes.

Filing a VIN Correction

Not only is it free, it’s also very easy to fix a VIN. To correct a VIN, simply follow the steps below:

  1. Start a new return
  2. Mark the return as an amendment on Step 1
  3. List only the corrected VIN on Step 2
  4. List the incorrect VIN and select a reason on Step 3
  5. Steps 4-6 will be the same as any other return
  6. Submit the return

Too Good To Be True?

Seems pretty simple, right? Because it is simple! VIN corrections submitted by US mail used to take weeks to complete. After submitting one on our website though, it should take no longer than 15 minutes to get you a corrected stamped Schedule 1 to your email.

Contact Us

Easy, quick, and free. Sounds like the best mistake to make on the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Form if you ask me! Call us at (909) 596-0050 if you had any questions about filing this type of return. A member of our team would be happy to help you.

Written by Molly Harris

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *